- What Does A Food Business Consultant Do?
- 1. Food And Nutrition Consultants
- 2. Food Service Consultants
- Starting A Food Consulting Career
- 1. Getting A Degree In Food Business Consulting
- 2. Gain Enough Experience By Working In The Food Sector
- 3. Join Professional Bodies Within The Aspects Of Food Business Consultancy
- Growing Your Food Business Consultancy
What Does A Food Business Consultant Do?A food consultant is trained to offer advice or services on the various varieties within the aspect of the food industry. Like I said earlier, a food consultant can be trained in a particular aspect within the food industry or on all areas generally. Before embarking on a search for a food business consultant, always know what they specialize on and how they go about it.
1. Food And Nutrition ConsultantsThis kind of food business consultant is also known as a dietary consultant. The major job of a food and nutrition consultant is to give advice to most companies, hotels, restaurants and so on how to build a healthy food menu and also the importance of having a healthy food menu. A food and nutrition consultant is usually one who has a good background I health and fitness, degree in food and nutrition, degree in health education. The consultant reviews the clients existing food menu then makes adjustments as to the right food and the food that may not be good for the body will be removed from the menu. This class of consultant is more of a consultant that works from an office or maybe a small geographical area.
2. Food Service ConsultantsThe food service consultant is very much different from the food and nutritionist consultant. The food service consultant focuses more on the business and profit making of their clients than the nutritional aspect of the food. The services a food service consultant provide is more of food menu, kitchen design, employee training, business plan and budget organization purchasing of food equipment and audits. A food service consultant does not necessarily need to work from an office as his or her job may require supervision and can work from anywhere and in any area thus requiring a lot of travelling which is unlike the food and nutrition consultants.
Starting A Food Consulting CareerBefore becoming a qualified food business consultant, you would have probably gone through one or two trainings, get a certificate, intern and so on. As someone who wants to start a career in food business, you might be wondering how to start a career, the things you need to do and how important it is to do this things. For a food business consultant who has a flare in starting a food consultancy business, these are the things you would need to have or consider.
1. Getting A Degree In Food Business ConsultingThere are lots of schools, universities, colleges that offer food business consulting courses (BS.C and Diploma) both online and on-campus. Find out which school best suits you and the course on food business consultancy you wish to study. Getting a degree in food consulting is the first step that needs to be taken because without a degree you might not be taken seriously by clients. The truth is no client would want to do business with someone who has no level of training or degree in the field which they are working. Getting a degree sets a platform to start up a career in food consulting.
2. Gain Enough Experience By Working In The Food SectorBeing a successful food consultant, you should have good experience of how the food industry works. What this means is that you should work with another food consultant who you should learn all the tactics and strategies in running a food business consultancy firm. Gaining experience in the food business consultancy means working in all the aspects of food industry areas such as restaurants, hotels, food cafeterias etc. with the experience gained from the number of years or month from working in all these areas gives an edge in knowing how to manage a food business consultancy firm
3. Join Professional Bodies Within The Aspects Of Food Business ConsultancyOne way to start a career and also build up a career in the food industry is joining a professional body. Joining a professional body gives you an edge and opportunity to meet other professionals and also gives you an access to high profile consultants and sometimes joining these professional bodies can link you and a customer up.
Growing Your Food Business ConsultancyOwning a food consultancy business is a different ball game from growing your consultancy. It is not enough to have a food business consultancy firm but also growing your firm. I takes a lot of effort and skill to grow a food business consultancy firm such as knowing who the real target market is, marketing skills, charges etc.
a. Knowing the real target market: for a career like food business consultancy, you should be able to know who the real target market is and work out a way to attract your target market. Your target market doesn’t just end with hotels, restaurant, cafeterias but also individuals who might be planning a wedding, birthday party, graduation party and so on because guests needs to be fed so they would definitely need consulting in the type of menu and nutritional advice.
b. Have good marketing skills: the success of every business is also the kind of marketing skills that is been employed. Never use marketing skills or strategies that are outdated. What this means is making researches on the latest trends and work with the growing trend.
c. Charges: as a growing food business consultant, never start your firm with high charges. However this does not mean you should undercharge. Let your charges be very reasonable so as not to scare potential clients away.